During the Great War a committee was formed to provide items for the welfare of the servicemen on leave. After the War the committee was left with £100. The committee and the Men’s Institute (founded in 1892) formed a general committee and proposed the building of a Memorial Hall. Public subscriptions were sought, and a grant from the United Services Fund of £88 was obtained. The local Womens institute had an original aim of erecting their own headquarters but joined in with the Memorial Hall committee providing from their own funds £100. In 1920 the committee purchased the building and lands known as ‘The Poplars’, and on 11 November 1926 the Lydbrook Memorial Hall, Men’s and Women’s Institute came into being at a cost of £3,150 opened by the blind Victoria cross holder of Coleford, Captain Angus Buchanan.
Now the hall facilitates a public use to anyone who would wish to rent the hall, for only £7.50 an hour. Facilities include a fully functioning stage, badminton court, hall, toilets, meeting room, and new kitchen facilities
Any inquires for hall rental please contact: Kelly on 01594 862610